Dude Ranch

I remember exactly where I was when I got the text from my wife.   It was a pleasant spring day and I was sitting at an outdoor table at a local pub having a beer with co-workers. The text said “I’ve made us plans for Memorial weekend, we are going to a due ranch”

I’m thoughts flashed of wannabe cowboys to cheesy pony rides at a kids fair.

I remember saying to the table “I guess I’m going to a dude ranch, I need anther beer”


I kept my true thoughts to myself was my wife was (strangely) excited for the event and I am a supportive husband.  Although I did make her watch the movie City Slickers.


We left our house in Austin for the 3 hour drive southwest to the town of Bandera (they call themselves the cowboy capital of the world).  Off some country streets and a gravel road we found the location; Rancho Cortez.


I remained skeptical as we were checked in by (I think by the way he acted) the owner.  He worn boots, jeans, and a cowboy hat.  He had whitish grey hair and leathery skin and probably was in the age range of 60 - 110.  He was a character.  He was, at the same time, both nice and boarder line rude:  “You city people ever seen a horse before?”


We had selected to do the overnight option (they also over day and half-day visits).  The rooms were nice but not the reason that you would come here to visit.  After unloading our luggage we dressed (the recommended long pants and closed toe shoes) and went to join the other visitors for the day’s first event.





Including us three, there were approximately 7-8 other people there.  A handful of people from around Texas and a group of university students from China who were doing a semester in Texas.  Many of us were given nicknames by the main cowboy such as ‘city people’, ‘preppy’ (some guy wearing nice shoes), and ‘china girl’. Boarder line rude and racist.   


For the rest of the afternoon we had a blast!  We were taught how to ride horses (including some tricks like standing on the saddle), how to lasso, and then a trail ride through the ranch trails.  It was really fun!  After the trail ride we jumped on a trailer pulled by a tractor to visit the cattle.  The cattle were huge Texas Longhorns!  We walked among them in the field that they shared with other cows and donkeys.


After washing up we joined the group for a brisket dinner in the dining hall.  Interestingly the ranch is also place where they hold 2 week long fitness camps.  The chef mentioned that although he still makes brisket for those visitors they do not do a buffet.


After dinner our daughter/step-daughter went off to help clean the stables (although she won’t clean her room) and get the horses ready for the night.  We went on a short hike.  We returned back to the main area and a fire pit full of logs had just been lit.  The evening was spent enjoying drinks around the fire hearing old cowboy stories and chatting with the other guests.  


The next morning we did a morning trail ride before saying goodbye to the horses and  checking out.





Comments