ACL Festival 2021

 Normally at this time (morning of day 1 of Austin City Limits music festival) I would be busy arranging my kit in preparation for day and night of standing in a park with thousands of other people enjoying multiple bands pumping out great music.  I would plastic bags (aka rain protection for dry stuff), hand wipes (porta potties), and other necessary items.  Also in my pocket would be the schedule along with my notes of want to see bands along with a small sharpie to make edits and notes throughout the day.  


Off I would go!  Early as usually there would be bands playing for the morning drive radio remote broadcast in parking lots or venues near the park.  I would head to the gates as they opened and they play the Star Wars theme to welcome guests.


Things are different this year - covid.  Well covid combined with the some of people that like to go to music festivals.  Young, right out of college, finally with some money, and with a keen focus on themselves.  Sure a couple of years I was like that so I’m not judging (too much) but I just don’t feel like being in a crowd with them until we get things under better control.  I hope that is soon (despite the actions of the Governor)





But if you are going and you want to get a sampler of great local music here our four bands I’d recommend you check out.


Nane @ Fri 1:00 PM on the Lady Bird stage - Soulful and fun rock

Black Pumas @ Fri 6:00 on the Lady Bird stage - Modern blues rock with flavors of gospel.  The are a big hit now.

Sir Woman @ Sat 1:00 on the Tito’s stage - Beautiful music with a tinge of Motown sound.

Day Glow @ Sat 7:20 on the VRBO stage - Fun pop/rock heading the direction of Vampire Weekend


There are a few other local bands playing as well so check out as many as you can!



Update:  Gates were schedule to open at Frio Noon but have now been delayed until 3pm due to weather.

Comments